For corporate video, event video, education, faith and government video, there’s never been anything like Sony’s HXR-NX80. This sleek chassis represents the most power Sony has ever built into a palm-sized NXCAM® camera. With advances like 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, Instant HDR, a large 1” (1.0-type) image sensor and Fast Hybrid Auto Focus, this is the perfect tool for taking your productions to the next level.
Amazing, Fast Hybrid Auto Focus
Focus is always important. And it’s especially critical in large-sensor 4K production. The HXR-NX80 exceeds the need with Sony’s remarkable Fast Hybrid Auto Focus system. Using 273 focus points covering 84% of the frame, the system combines the strengths of both Phase Detection and Contrast Detection for unsurpassed results. You can hold focus even on fast-moving subjects such as sports, breaking news or children at play. Refinements like 4K face detection and object tracking technology make it easy for a director or journalist to follow a subject.
The detail of 4K, the beauty of HDR
4K High Dynamic Range is sweeping the television market -- and gaining the attention of more and more producers. The HXR-NX80 is the first palm-sized broadcast camera to deliver stunning 4K HDR. Sony’s choice of Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) means that your results will look amazing on both HDR and conventional televisions – without additional color correction.
120 fps continuous High Frame Rates
High Frame Rate shots can turn everyday actions into slow motion ballet. The HXR-NX80 delivers continuous 1-120 frames per second (fps) Slow & Quick Motion in Full HD XAVC 10-bit 4:2:2. For 24p projects, the result is gorgeous 5x slow motion. There’s more. You also get beautiful time lapse sequences down to 1 fps. In burst mode recording, the camera achieves even higher frame rates: up to 960 fps at specific resolutions.
Every professional needs connections
The HXR-NX80 fits well in broadcast environments with balanced XLR microphone inputs, Sony’s versatile Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, HDMI® terminal and a convenient, wired remote control jack. Wired remote control enables the camera to work beautifully in Sony’s simple live production solution, which includes the MCX-500 live producer and RM-30BP remote control.
Remarkable 1” (1.0-type) Exmor RS® sensor
To deliver unprecedented performance, the camera features an unprecedented 1” (1.0-type) stacked image sensor. The difference is substantial.
- More cinematic. Compared to smaller 1/3 or 1/4 type sensors, the 1” (1.0-type) delivers more beautiful background defocusing (bokeh). So you can focus on what you want to show and defocus the rest.
- Phenomenal low light performance. The sensor features 20 megapixels (14.2 MP effective). Yet thanks to the uncommonly large sensor area and back illumination, low light performance is impressive. Minimum illumination is 1.7 lux (in Low Lux mode).
- Faster. Sony’s “stacked” sensor design incorporates memory, doubling the readout speed compared to a conventional 1” (1.0-type) sensor. This explains the camera’s ability to capture up to 120 fps continuous in Full HD or capture 4K reading out all the pixels without binning. Sony also separates the circuit layer from the pixel layer to optimize high-speed performance. And we matched the sensor to the BIONZ X™ processor and a front-end LSI, both of which help deliver autofocus speed and precision.
Instant High Dynamic Range (HDR)
With the ability to reproduce images from deep shadows to piercing highlights, 4K High Dynamic Range (HDR) televisions are sweeping the market and demand for HDR production is booming. While broadcasters recognize the benefits of HDR, they still need to deliver content quickly and effectively. The HXR-NX80 meets this demand with Sony’s Instant HDR workflow. Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) recording captures HDR, yet plays back beautifully on both HDR and conventional monitors and televisions. There’s no need to devote extra time to post-production work and color grading. For added versatility, the camera also provides S-Log3 encoding.
Up to 120 fps continuous High Frame Rates
High Frame Rate shots can turn everyday actions into slow motion ballet. The HXR-NX80 delivers continuous 1-120 frames per second (fps) Slow & Quick Motion in Full HD. For 24p projects, the result is gorgeous 5x slow motion. There's no sacrifice in bit depth and no "windowing" of the sensor. Compared to normal frame rates, there's no crop factor, no loss in angle of view. You also get beautiful time lapse sequences down to 1 fps. And burst mode recording offers even higher frame rates – 240 fps, 480 fps and 960 fps – at specific resolutions.
Professional 4K and Full HD
The HXR-NX80 records 4K (3840 x 2160) using the advanced XAVC-S codec. And you can capture XAVC-S Full HD at 50 Mbps. This advanced recording system combines stunning picture quality with workflow flexibility and storage efficiency. For compatibility with legacy systems, the camera also offers AVCHD™ recording.
2.4 / 5 GHz wireless networking
The HXR-NX80 comes with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi as standard. Simply turn on and log onto your preferred network to enjoy advanced wireless production.
- Ustream® Direct Streaming enables you to share scenes as they happen with high quality picture and sound. No switcher required.
- Smartphone or tablet remote control. You can operate the camera – and view the image – from a smartphone or tablet using Sony’s free Content Browser Mobile™ app (requires iOS 9.0 - 10.3 or Android 4.4 - 7.1 operating system). You can even connect compatible devices with one-touch NFC authentication.
Dual XLR inputs
The detachable handle has two XLR mic inputs. And even if you remove the handle, a stereo minijack mic input on the body is still available. It’s ideal for shooting in confined spaces, such as a car interior, or when mounting on a gimbal.
Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
The HXR-NX8 takes advantage of Sony’s flexible Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, which provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching to compatible accessories. For example, you can connect and control Sony’s 2-channel UWP-D Series wireless microphone systems, sold separately.
Dual media slots
To extend recording time and flexibility, the camera provides two slots for SDXC™ and SDHC™ cards. Slot 1 is also compatible with Memory Stick PRO Duo™ (Mark 2) / PRO-HG Duo™ cards. To take advantage, Relay mode automatically switches recording to the second memory card when the first is full. Simul mode enables simultaneous recording to two memory cards (for example to create an immediate back-up version). The two Start/Stop buttons on the handle grip and camcorder body can independently start and stop recording on different memory cards while recording in Simul mode.