- A high-performance lens that is part of the S-Line, a newly designated grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that adheres to a new benchmark in optical performance, creating new definitions of design principles and quality control
- Achieves the three-dimensional appearance so vital to portrait photography with natural bokeh that gradually increases as the distance from the focal plane increases
- Images that are sharp and clear all the way to the extreme edges of the frame stand in conspicuous contrast to the smooth and beautiful bokeh, which the lens is also capable of
- A multi-focusing system that dramatically reduces aberrations for excellent imaging performance at any focus distance, including close distances
- Adoption of two ED glass elements provides effective compensation for axial chromatic aberration
- Acquisition of an abundance of peripheral light enables worry-free shooting at maximum aperture with a slight and gradual drop in light volume
- Nano Crystal Coat, Nikon's exclusive anti-reflection coating technology, effectively reduces ghost and flare for sharp and clear images
- Effective suppression of sagittal coma flare* for superior point image reproduction characteristics beginning at maximum aperture
- A control ring that demonstrates superior operability with quiet and smooth operation
- Adoption of stepping motor (STM) enables fast, quiet, and accurate AF drive for both still-image shooting and movie recording
- Quiet and smooth aperture control optimized for movie recording minimizes flicker
- Designed with consideration given to dust- and drip-resistant capability with sealing throughout
- An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables extremely precise aperture control
Captivating Portraits. Breathtaking Details.
Elevated by advancements of the revolutionary Z mount, the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S is a premium S-Line lens that blends optical ingenuity and artistic nuance. Flattering perspective. Breathtaking resolution. Stunning bokeh. Unwavering focus and lifelike accuracy compensation. This is an 85mm prime lens that will thrill and inspire those who shoot portraits, headshots, fashion, weddings, tight video shots, street photography or any situation that highlights the human form.
NIKKOR Quality at its Absolute Best
At the top of the ever-expanding NIKKOR Z lens lineup, S-Line lenses push Nikon’s tradition of optical excellence and innovation to unprecedented new heights. Superior performance and resolution. Sophisticated features and operability. Specialized technologies and reliability enhancements. All while taking full advantage of the monumental Nikon Z mount and adhering to the strictest image quality and build standards.
Pure Natural Beauty
Few subjects showcase the strengths and shortcomings of a lens more clearly than the human face. Our eyes are so adept at detecting focus issues, facial shape distortion, unnatural skin tone—nearly any imperfection. The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S captures the human form in breathtaking clarity and sharpness.
The shape of a face is greatly affected by focal length. The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S’s 85mm perspective is within the sweet spot for portraits and fashion, rendering faces naturally and beautifully, free of distortion.
Z series' outstanding Eye-AF and the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S’s extreme sharpness ensure your portraits and headshots will have tack-sharp focus right where you want it—on the eyes of your subject.
The extreme sharpness and resolution of the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S makes it particularly well suited for capturing the subtlety and nuances of facial expressions and the emotions they convey.
Beautifully blurred backgrounds naturally, and sometimes dramatically, direct your viewer’s eyes to the main subject. The nine rounded aperture blades of the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S give defocused points of light a soft, round consistent shape. Plus, the transition from tack-sharp foreground to dreamy background is smooth and natural.
Great for Documentaries, Interviews and More
The artistic qualities, natural perspective, quiet autofocus and smooth aperture control of the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S make it outstanding for video work in documentaries, interviews, B-roll footage and anywhere you want to isolate your subject from the background. Use the customizable control ring to create smooth iris transitions, or let Auto Aperture Control adjust the iris during exposure changes.
2 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements correct chromatic aberrations (optical color defects). Nano Crystal Coat (N) virtually eliminates flare, ghosting and coma. Optical advancements of the Z mount and S-Line render point-light sources sharper than ever without the usual diamond-shaped distortion—perfect for nightscapes, starscapes and more.
One of the many advantages of the larger Z mount is its ability to retain even illumination, especially at the corners of the frame. This results in bright, even exposures with minimal vignetting.
Finely detailed high resolution photography can sometimes be susceptible to lens aberrations, such as color fringing, especially at close ranges. The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S incorporates an all-new multi-focusing system, consisting of two AF drive units precisely synchronized to deliver fast, accurate autofocusing and drastically reduce aberrations.
Customizable Control Ring
In addition to a dedicated manual focus ring, the control ring can be used for quiet aperture control (great for iris transitions during video recording or situations where complete silence is critical) or exposure compensation.
9-Blade Rounded Diaphragm
Produces stunning bokeh and stops down smoothly and evenly for consistent exposures at any frame rate.
Powered by an ultra-quiet stepping motor and enhanced by the additional light gathered by the Z Mount, focusing is fast, silent and accurate. Great for stills; even better for video.
Dust and Drip Resistant
Extensively sealed to keep dust and moisture out, especially around all moving parts of the lens barrel, for worry-free durability.
Dual Detect 5 Axis VR
Uses the Z cameras' superior in-camera image stabilization system for up to 5 stops* of pitch, roll, yaw, X and Y shake correction. Additional electronic VR (e-VR available) during video capture.