Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless Digital Camera with 28-70mm Lens
- Calculated at Checkout
An all-arounder that pushes beyond basic, the Sony Alpha a7 IV does double duty with strong stills and video performance. An advanced hybrid mirrorless camera, the a7 IV has the resolution and AF performance that appeals to photographers along with robust 4K 60p video recording for filmmakers and content creators.
The newly developed 33MP Exmor R CMOS sensor pairs with the BIONZ XR processor from the Alpha 1 to achieve quick shooting up to 10 fps and 4K 60p video recording, along with broad sensitivity up to ISO 51200 and a wide 15+ stop dynamic range. Beyond image quality, the sensor and processor also contribute to an advanced AI-based AF system that supports Real-time Eye AF and Real-time Tracking for intuitive AF control and subject tracking.
This fourth-generation of the a7 camera also sports an updated body design that houses a higher resolution 3.68m-dot EVF, vari-angle touchscreen LCD, and dual memory card slots, including one dual CFexpress Type A/SD UHS-II slot. Connectivity and streaming are also a key attribute of this camera, and it supports a simple plug-and-play design for live streaming directly from the camera when connected to a computer via USB.
Sensor and Processor
33MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
BIONZ XR Processor
In terms of shooting speeds, the sensor and processor enable up to 10 fps shooting, using either the mechanical or electronic shutter and with AF/AE enabled. Also, the buffer permits recording up to 828 consecutive uncompressed raw + JPEG frames when using a CFexpress Type A card.
Advanced External Flash Control
4K 60p Video Recording in 10-Bit
- Making full use of the high-resolution 33MP sensor and fast processing capabilities, UHD 4K 30p XAVC HS 10-bit recording is possible using the full width of the sensor, offering 7K oversampling for impressive sharpness and realism.
- There is also oversampled 4K recording, via a 4.6K capture area, with a Super 35 crop, that offers UHD 4K output up to 60p in 10-bit.
- No recording time limit allows for unlimited clip lengths and the camera's physical design features an improved heat-dissipating structure to promote longer possible recording times; longer than one hour of continuous 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, for example.
- The a7 IV employs a pair of codecs to suit different workflows: XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to retain more detail at smaller bitrates and XAVC S-I, which is an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at bitrates up to 600 Mb/s.
S-Cinetone, S-Log3, and Other Color and Gamma Controls
- S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that matches the FX9 and FX6 cameras, along with the a1 and a7S III, and is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE. This color profile offers natural mid-tones, soft colors, and especially well-controlled highlights.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support permits recording within a wide color gamut for producing HDR-ready content directly from the camera.
- S-Log3 is also available for producing a 15+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
Fast Hybrid AF System
Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF
- Real-time Tracking is an AI-based subject recognition system that recognizes color, pattern, and subject distance information for high accuracy and focusing speed.
- Beyond just tracking subjects, Real-time Eye AF fine-tunes the focusing accuracy and recognizes human, animal, and bird's eyes for critical sharpness. Real-time Eye AF even maintains focus on a subject's eye when they leave and re-enter the frame, allowing for working in more spontaneous shooting situations.
AF During Video Recording and Additional Focusing Modes
- Real-time Eye AF is fully supported during video recording, for subject detection and tracking of human, animal, and bird eyes while shooting.
- For more control over how focus shifts appear during recording, seven-step AF transition speeds and five-step AF subject shift sensitivity controls let you refine how quickly focus shifts from point to point and how smoothly focusing shifts occur.
- A unique solution to compensate for how certain lenses perform when racking focus, Focus Breathing compensation will automatically smooth focus transitions and maintain a consistent field of view when changing the focus position during a shot. This mode crops into the image slightly and corrects for any detected shifts in composition when focusing is happening.
- Focus Map is a unique way of visualizing depth of field and functions in a similar way to peaking with a colorful overlay of the scene that indicates which parts of the scene are in front of and behind the focus point depending on the chosen aperture.
- A feature carried over from the FX6 digital cine camera, AF Assist lets you intuitively switch over to manual focus control for adjusting focus position when working with AF. This is a quick way to shift selective focus between various subjects in a scene while recording.
Body Design, Connectivity, and Streaming
Viewfinder and LCD Screen
- An improved QVGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF features a 3.68m-dot resolution that is approximately 1.6x higher in resolution than its predecessor for sharper, clearer viewing. This viewfinder supports both standard 60 fps and 120 fps frame rates for smooth motion rendering and its physical design has a long 23mm eye point, 0.78x-magnification, and 37.3° field of view.
- Perfect for vlogging or other self-recording needs, the side-opening 3.0" 1.03m-dot vari-angle articulating screen can be used in a front-facing orientation or can be tilted up or down to suit working from high or low shooting angles. This LCD is a touchscreen, too, for intuitive shooting control and menu navigation.
Hybrid Stills and Video Body Design
- New to the Alpha line, there is a convenient Still/Movie/S&Q dial, beneath the shooting mode dial, that allows for quick changing between different recording modes. By changing between stills and movie recording modes, the menu system and custom buttons will change for more intuitive and practical use.
- Customizable interface permits assigning 169 functions across 18 different buttons and the new rear dial R.
- Dual memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition file types or can be used for overflow recording. One slot is a dual CFexpress Type A and SD slot and the other is solely an SD card slot; both are rated to support UHS-II memory cards.
- Updated menu structure is more intuitive and complements having different workflows and settings selections for movie recording and stills shooting. The menu system also works in conjunction with the touchscreen design of the rear LCD.
- Accepts the high-capacity NP-FZ100 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which provides approximately 520 shots per charge when working with the viewfinder or 580 shots when working with the rear LCD.
Ports and Interface
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- USB Type-C port can be paired with an optional Ethernet wired LAN adapter to provide 1000BASE-T connectivity, wired remote shooting, or FTP transferring.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
- Enhanced 5.5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system compensates for five different types of camera shake encountered during handheld shooting of stills and video and allows users to confidently use any lens, even adapted lenses, for critical shooting without encountering blur from camera shake.
- For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
- Additionally, specifically for video, there is also an Active IS mode that adds even more precise stabilization methods for even smoother footage straight out of camera.
Wireless Connectivity and Streaming
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the remote camera control and instant sharing of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. This connectivity also provides remote camera control.
- Use of the Imaging Edge mobile app is benefitted by Bluetooth to maintain a reliable connection between the camera and mobile device.
- Live streaming is possible directly from the camera simply by connecting the camera to a computer or compatible mobile device via USB, allowing the camera's video and audio capabilities to be used for live social media and video conferencing.
- 4K 15p, FHD 60p/30p, and HD 30p recording settings are available and there are also internal Creative Look and Soft Skin effects for a refined image quality straight from the camera.
- Internal recording is supported to a memory card while live streaming.
- UVC and UAC standards are supported for improved picture and sound quality during streaming.
- Supports Visual Story for easy cloud-based deliver of photos and videos immediately after shooting.
FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens
Recommended Memory Cards for This Camera:
Shipping & Returns
Orders over $99.00 will receive free FedEx Ground shipping (typically 2-3 business day shipping) in the contiguous (lower- 48) United States. In stock orders placed after 1:00pm CST on weekdays will not ship until the next business day. Orders submitted online before 1:00pm CST, Monday - Friday will be processed that same day. though, this does not guarantee that your order will ship that same day. Orders are subject to verification and sometimes require additional information from the cardholder. These precautions are made with the card holder's interests in mind. We will attempt to reach the cardholder for up to five (5) working days after the order has initially gone through our verification department. After the allowed time, and if we are not able to verify the credit cardholders information, we will cancel and refund the pending order. Orders placed after 1:00pm CST Fridays will not ship until the following Monday. The $99 order total is calculated after all rebates and bundle discounts have been applied. Gift cards, duties, and taxes do not count towards the $99 order total. Our free shipping is available for orders completed using our online cart only, items ordered in store or by phone (approved by Bedford Executive Team members only) will not qualify for free shipping.
Your satisfaction is our number one priority. purchases made online will be gladly refunded or exchanged within 14 days of purchase with the exception of special orders, opened computer software. For your peace of mind and protection, bulbs, paper, inks and film may not be returned. Returned products are required to be in brand-new condition and must include the original, undamaged manufacturer's packaging with all packaging materials, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, plastic bags and the blank warranty cards. also, please include the original receipt with the product. Any items not meeting these requirements will be subject to a minimum of a 15% restocking fee at our discretion. As a convenience to you, any eligible online purchase may be returned to any Bedford Camera & Video location but for credit for the transaction will be issued in the form of the original payment method. Shipping or freight charges are nonrefundable. We cannot overnight batteries shipped by themselves, no exceptions. This includes camera batteries, lithium-ion batteries, AAA or AA batteries of any kind.
See More Details
See More Details
Orders over $99.00 will receive free FedEx Ground shipping (typically 2-3 business day shipping) in the contiguous (lower- 48) United States. In stock orders placed after 1:00pm CST on weekdays will not ship until the next business day. Orders submitted online before 1:00pm CST, Monday - Friday will be processed that same day. though, this does not guarantee that your order will ship that same day. Orders are subject to verification and sometimes require additional information from the cardholder. These precautions are made with the card holder's interests in mind. We will attempt to reach the cardholder for up to five (5) working days after the order has initially gone through our verification department. After the allowed time, and if we are not able to verify the credit cardholders information, we will cancel and refund the pending order. Orders placed after 1:00pm CST Fridays will not ship until the following Monday.
The $99 order total is calculated after all rebates and bundle discounts have been applied. Gift cards, duties, and taxes do not count towards the $99 order total. Our free shipping is available for orders completed using our online cart only, items ordered in store or by phone (approved by Bedford Executive Team members only) will not qualify for free shipping.
YES! We are a Sony Authorized dealer!
All new products come with a full manufactures USA Limited warranty.
Protect your purchase with an optional 3-5year extended warranty.
Manufacturers’ warranties don’t cover everything. Protect your valuable investment with an Accidental Damage Warranty.
Choose the warranty that’s best for your purchase and customize it to your needs. Products covered: Digital Cameras, Lenses, Video Cameras, Flashes and Lighting
Total Protection from:
+ Manufacturer Defects
+ Impact Damage
+ Sand/Grit Damage
+ Accidental and Unintentional Abuse
+ Mechanical Malfunctions
+ Normal & Abnormal Wear & Tear
Protection plans include standard coverage as well coverage for malfunctions due to accidental damage from handling (ADH). This includes malfunctions due to liquid damage that were the result of an accident. Call us today, if you have further questions.
Please note, this service contract must be purchased/registered within 30 days from the date the equipment is purchased. Once purchased, you will receive an email with instruction on how to register your warranty.
Attention California Residents: This product may contain chemicals including but not limited to, lead and/or nickel, that can cause Cancer and other Reproductive Harm.
For more information, please visit www.p65warnings.ca.gov.